I am no longer friends with Katelyn Elizabeth Lynch and I am completely serious. I am typing this from my seat in the back of a Greyhound bus somewhere in
Oh I am just now passing a water tower that says “Chesteron” on it and according from a highway sign I just passed I am a mere 50 miles from Chicago. Woo! Anyhow…let me regale you with tales of my journey.
At 9:15 a.m. Thursday morning I gave up on studying for my Child Development exam, hugged my kitty good-bye explaining to her that I would be back and four days and that this doesn’t mean I don’t love her anymore, I’m just irresponsible and impulsive. I then picked up my very heavy wheelie suitcase armed with four textbooks, my laptop, my back up laptop battery, my DS, my MP3 player, and some clothing and headed off to my midterm. The exam was in the Stuart Biology building, a solid ten minutes walk of hills, some so steep that the city has carved stone stairs for pedestrians. This was not fun with my very heavy bag.
My exam started by 10:00 a.m. It was sixty multiple choice and six short answer. We had an hour and a half to do it, but Thank You MCAS training, per usual I was out of there in thirtyish minutes.
I headed down rue Peel to this little hidden shop that makes really good subs for $3.50. I got a roast beef sub, concerned that it would be my last meal for 20 hours….how wrong I was. I then went to an ATM to withdraw $40 Canadian and hopped on the metro at Peel, getting deposited at the Guy-Concoridia Metro stop.
I had found an ad on the McGill classifieds offering a $35 ride to
Soon another girl with a wheelie suitcase arrived. She asked if I was going to
The man led us to a large unmarked white van, the kind you see outside of shows for small bands who don’t have the money for a trailer. He apologized for being late, saying he had got stuck on a street doing construction and urged us inside. There were already three other people in the van and we all climbed in. There was the driver’s seat with a bucket passenger seat. Behind that there was a bench seat meant for three, behind that another bench seat meant for two, behind that a third bench seat meant for two, and behind even that a third bench seat meant for three. I opted for the very back and settled in with a girl who had just returned from
I gave up talking to them almost immediately when the girl asked me where I was from and we had the following conversation…
“Wow…good for you.” The girl said with a mix of amazement and pretension.
“Good for me?” I asked, not having any idea what she was talking about.
“Yeah, you’ve managed to loose your American accent with only two years in
I replied, quite offended, might I add, “What do you mean American accent?”
“Oh you know…how all you Americans kinda tah-ahk like thias” she answered forcing an impression of a thick Texan accent.
I stared at her shocked. “I’m from
“Well you know there’s a
“Yeah…and I do have a bit of a
At this point she looked back at me a little dumbfounded, “No. Don’t all Americans talk like that?”
“Don’t you watch tv?”
“Well, you can’t have an accent like that on tv. Other countries watch these shows, they’ll just think you are stupid.”
“Oh…okay” I responded putting my headphones back on and creating my own stereotype…mostly that rich girls from
The ride itself wasn’t that bad except that the guy driving played Russian techno-ey pop really overwhelmingly loudly the whole time. I sat watched an episode of Big Love on my MP3 player, played some brain game, read a bit of my Animal Learning textbook, and played a little brain game. We stopped once for Wendy’s and a bathroom break. Tragically, this combined with the thirty minutes late that our sketchy van left
I spent fifteen very tense minutes on the train, frantically glancing between my watch and the subway map that said I was 13 stops away….12 stops away….11 stops away. On the way I talked to the Australian kid….okay wait –pause story-
An old man with the personal hygiene of a homeless man just walked to the back of the bus to use the bathroom. I looked up at him half as an instinctive reaction half out of politeness and he winked at me rather creepily as he headed in to pee. Anyhow…back to the story…
The Australian guy’s name was Benji. He had graduated McGill last April with a degree in political science. He was coming to
I stood up and walked to the door of the train at the ready. The minute the doors opened I stared running as fast as I could through the station. I got to the stairs and the damn escalator was down. I had to lug my very heavy suitcase up what added up to about two and a half flights of stairs. I am very out of shape and about half way up my “running” diminished into me struggling, sweating, and staring, hoping that some kind man would offer to help me but I guess a soaking wet, panting chick who is rather loudly mutter “Fuck! Fuck! What the fucking…fuck….goddamit….fucking stairs….fuck you stairs” seems more crazy than cute.
I made it outside and started “power-completely winded actually pretty slow” walking. My watch said 6:32. I was hoping the bus was just a touch late. I finally got into the station and the bus was still on the departures list. I convinced three sets of people to let me cut them in the ticket line. When I got to the window I asked if the
All along I had known there was a chance of this happening and I thought I had mentally prepared myself, but I guess I hadn’t. I was so frustrated I just want to go hide somewhere and cry. Unfortunately I was in
I ventured out of the Greyhound station and found a Starbucks. Since these usually have free WiFi I went in and bought a tea so that I could pull out my laptop, check my bank account to see if I had enough money to actually do anything, check facebook, write a blog complaining about this, and just generally waste some time.
The Starbucks did have WiFi but it wasn’t free. Annoyed, I sat there with a peppermint tea I didn’t really want because I was sweating profusely (okay…maybe I really need to start working out). Some high school kids sat down on the couch next to me and I heard them talking about going to the AMC.
What a great idea! “Excuse me…I couldn’t help but over hear you say AMC…is there a movie theatre around here?”
“Yeah, the boy responded. Take a left and its only one block up.”
At this point it was about 7:10, which I figured was prime movie going time. I headed over there to what I soon realized was the sad little
I sat down next to a man in his late 40’s and ordered a frozen pomegranate “Jacktini”. It was basically an awesome alcoholic slush puppy. A really strong alcoholic slush puppy that really did the trick in helping loosen the knot of frustration, anger, and disappointment that I had been carrying around for the last hour. The guy I was sitting next to was clearly drunk and was simultaneously hitting on me while telling me he had a daughter my age who got accepted to McGill but decided to go to
Anyways I finished my drink and went back to the theatre to begin what turned out to be THE SINGLE MOST SATISFYING MOVIE GOING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE…
Pause story….I am now staring at the
Anyhow…the move….the movie itself was just kind of cute. But going to the movies was awesome. It was stadium seating with only 6 other people in the theatre. I lugged my shit all the way to the top and back. I pushed the armrests up on four seats and laid down across them with my bus blanket and my shoes off. It was so satisfying.
After the movie I went in search of food. I found an place called “Asian Fusion”. I order Pad Thai and a Mei Tai. I chuckled awkwardly as I said it. It was funny! It rhymed. My waitress stared at me with a look that was either telling me that I was a racist asshole or perhaps I was just an idiot.
After too much pad thai I went back to the bus station to wait out the last two hours. Got on the bus and spent from 1 am until 6 am trying feebly to sleep a little on the two seats I had. We got to the border at 6. And they x-rayed my bags. What the hell is that?!
We were in the
Now we are officially in
However, I am no longer friends with Katelyn Elizabeth Lynch.
The END!
….I wonder how long it will be before I actually get to post this….
No comments:
Post a Comment